When I start an Information Architecture or User Experience project, there are some fundamental questions I ask myself (and the client). Getting good answers is crucial to moving forward.
- Who’s the primary audience?
- What’s the business goal (…or goals, in priority order)?
- What is currently working?
- What is not working (and why)?
- What is the tech environment or constraints? (for example, modern PCs or Macs, iPhones or other smartphones, touchscreens, kiosks)
- What is the competition doing?
- To evaluate their current systems, what metrics are they using (if any)?
Sometimes, my client has these answers already. Other times, it’s part of my job to get these answers, and then turn them into actionable IA and UX recommendations.